For our last long-form episode of 2022, we’re diving into the library again, but this time we’re headed to the fiction section, and the Immortal Eyes novel trilogy. These books tie in to the three Immortal Eyes setting/chronicle books from 1st edition, fleshing out the story and giving some more options for incorporating the plot (and metaplot) into one’s own chronicle. It was a grand experiment that, while not unsuccessful, is difficult to define in terms of its actual impact on the game line. Nevertheless, they weren’t a chore to read, and we wanted to take some time to discuss them—as well as the overall role of RPG-associated fiction in the game space.
If you want to get in touch with us to comment, inquire, or just croon wordlessly about this (or another) episode:
- Discord: https://discord.gg/SAryjXGm5j
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100082973960699
- Mastodon: https://dice.camp/@ChangelingPod
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/changelingthepodcast
links in the chain
You can pick up the novels on DriveThruRPG for $0.99 each. As Josh points out, they’re PDFs rather than EPUBs, which makes them tough for some e-readers, but the price is actually significantly lower than what Pooka said on the show (bad research!), so there’s that. Follow the links below:
- The Toybox: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/82356?affiliate_id=3063731
- Shadows on the Hill: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/82357?affiliate_id=3063731
- Court of All Kings: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/82358?affiliate_id=3063731
Additionally, if you want to hear our episodes where we give deep dives into the setting/chronicle books proper and their usefulness for a chronicle, behold even more links…!:
- Immortal Eyes: The Toybox: https://changelingthepodcast.com/podcast/episode-6-immortal-eyes-the-toybox/
- Immortal Eyes: Shadows on the Hill: https://changelingthepodcast.com/podcast/episode-13-shadows-on-the-hill/
- Immortal Eyes: Court of All Kings: https://changelingthepodcast.com/podcast/episode-20-court-of-all-kings/
Josh Hillerup (any pronoun) is building a chimerical monstrosity from stripped book covers as retribution for 90s publishers’ excess.
Pooka G (any pronoun/they) often turns enemies to stone and pries loose their gem eyes, and so now has more Eyestones than they know what to do with.
“It’s not that pookas never tell the truth. It’s just that our version of the truth does not always correspond with majority opinion.”
—Rasputin, noted street performer, decorated war hero, and Grand Nabob of the Tenderloin